Sunday, October 30, 2005

Halloween...

Well, to start I'm sick of people that out of ignorance and stupidity lie or fib to their kids.. I say this because recently I encountered a parental dilemma with my 7yr old son. He was un-decided if he wanted to go trick-or-treating or go to a Putt-Putt park with his cousin's family who were going with the pastor and their family. They were taking the kids there instead of trick-or-treating because of their convictions. That's cool, have no issue with that. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. This is why we live in this Fabulous country. Anyway, during the process of explaining to him that he had to decided if he wanted to dress up and go trick-or-treating or go with his cousin. I had to explain why they were not going, and why they didn't celebrate in the same way. During our discussion he said, "Dad, I know... They don't celebrate because it's the Devils Birthday". I was shocked, and being the type of parent/person I am, I was not about to let this go without further research and investigation so I could properly explain to him what the truth behind what Halloween was and how it came to be. To sum up my results: Halloween did not originate from the devil or even from devil worship, It is not some horrible event or Satanic celebration, as a matter of fact at one point in Europe is was encouraged to be celebrated by the church. Anyway, It is simply a holiday that has evolved over time from superstition, and through time has grown to a simple family holiday meant to be enjoyed by everyone. Oh sure there have been moments through time that it has received a bad rep, but I challenge you to do the research discover for yourself... And share that history with your kids. Truth is always better than just telling some bullshit to your kids, they are pretty smart and can handle it. I'm sure there will be other controversially posts in the future and will have plenty of time to get into religious and political issues as time goes on.. hehe.. Have a Happy Halloween and enjoy.

Dang, what a first post to start with :)

Robert

Thought for today:
Ignorance should not be an excuse, It should be the driving force informing you know there is more to learn.

No comments: