Tuesday, April 17, 2007

2nd to the bible..

Lately I have been reading "The Intellectual Devotional" a book I would highly recommend as it is very enjoyable.

Anyway, on to my thought for today. I'm sure most of us have heard that the Bible is the #1 selling book. Well, according to amazon's rankings this does not appear to be true as it ranks the bible around #30,001. Of course this is ONLY one version of the bible, yadda yadda... I think they are simply wording it wrong. I have no doubt that the bible is most likely the most "Printed" book, witch I think would be a more accurate statement than calling it a best seller.

Usually though a christian will follow up with "and the #2 book is the satanic bible". Today, however, I read something pretty interesting in my devotional on the topic of Literature. It was about "Don Quixote" by Miguel de Cervantes. A work of fiction written in 2 parts, part one in 1605 and part two in 1615. To quote the book:
"It is celebrated as the preeminent work of Spanish literature and widely considered the first moder novel in any language" pg: 93

Definitely sounds like it is worth a read which is why I have added it to my wish list on amazon hehe. Anyway, what I found very intriguing in the "Additional Facts" section at the bottom was this little blurb:
"Of all the books published throughout history, Don Quixote is second only to the bible in terms of number of copies printed"

Just a little tid bit I thought was interesting enough to share today ;)

No comments: